Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Simple Gifts

A brief introduction. Today, while waiting to meet up with Randy and Gae Woodruff, Ashley and I decided to wander around the Capitol building. As I came directly in line with the stage for tomorrow I experienced one of the most memorable experiences in my life. A violin started to play and I realized it was not a recording but instead, a sound-check for tomorrows inaugural events. The violinist was none other than Itzhak Pearlman, and legendary cellist, Yo-Yo Ma, quickly joined him. The melodious tunings quickly turned into the breathtaking song “Simple Gifts”:

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,

'Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,

And when we find ourselves in the place just right,

'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gain'd,

To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,

To turn, turn will be our delight,

Till by turning, turning we come round right.

 

This song is beautiful in its own right, especially when preformed by two of the greatest musicians of all time. But what that song represented in that moment for me will be more powerful than the music itself. Our days are filled with the struggles of the hustle and bustle of everyday life, and we many times feel disgruntled with the state of our country, our interactions, and even ourselves. But tomorrow, as I have the amazing honor of being a part of this inaugural process, I will take time to remember the wonderful gifts I have as an American. I have the gift to be simple; to take some time to myself, and just enjoy life. I have the indescribable gift of freedom, and the security of knowing that I live in a country that allows me to find where I ought to be, not where it wants me. And while we face many struggles as a nation over the next four years, we must realize that it is through these struggles that we will yet again turn and rediscover the America we all are proud to be a part of.

So tomorrow as I stand along Pennsylvania Ave., freezing cold and tired, I will remember the simple gifts that I am afforded as an American. This morning, I am honored to live in America, a country that for the last eight years has been led through some of its most trying times by a honorable and gracious President George W, Bush. And this afternoon, I will be equally as honored to stand along millions of other Americans and watch President-elect Barack Obama pledge an oath that I believe he already holds in his heart. An oath to lead this country, through its struggles and accomplishments, toward its loftiest potentials with the honor, dignity, grace, and humility that 42 other men pledged to lead with before him. Today, I am truly proud to be an American.


_Jordan

1 comment:

  1. That's actually an old Shaker hymn, I believe. Very American.

    ReplyDelete