Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Curse you, winter weather

Being in D.C. for the inauguration today was great, don't get me wrong. But I fear that my longstanding memory of this historic day will be tarnished by my discomfort.

I can't feel my toes, I thought to myself. What if it's frostbite? My hands aren't much better--how will I jot down quotes?

My Dad called right after the ceremony let out. I was practically in tears because my toes were making it so I couldn't walk briskly (it was like they didn't work. And to think that before today I privately questioned if they served a purpose.)

Naturally, it's supposed to be in the 50s Thursday and Friday.

I'm still not totally sure how we managed to work today under such brutal conditions (and roadblocks. See Sommer and Ashley's stories of the travesties they faced today. At least all that happened to me was I stood in line and practically froze to death, all to not have a spectacular view).

I didn't end up losing any toes, so it was worth it. To say I was at the inauguration of our country's first Africa-American President runs chills up my spine. What an exciting chapter in our nation's history.

Maybe it would have been worth it even if I had lost a toe or two.

-Anita

2 comments:

  1. "And to think that before today I privately questioned if they served a purpose."

    Lol. Oh, Anita. You make me laugh.

    - Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry about your toes. i wonder what eskimos do

    -becky

    ReplyDelete