Monday, January 19, 2009

Braving the cold


Lunchtime! Anita and I are standing in line at McDonalds in the Air and Space Museum, and everything is overpriced.

It's been a busy morning! We walked out of Union Station after our early morning meeting and were greeted with snow! This was a little hard for me to comprehend, considering that it was in the 60s yesterday when I left Waco. I must say, I haven't been this cold in a LONG time. Haven't stopped shivering since about 8 a.m.

I got my press pass from the Senate building and the woman told me I will have an excellent view of the swearing-in ceremony. Then Anita and I walked around National Mall and the Capitol doing man on the street interviews. People came from all over the nation by train, plane, bus... It's insane! There are so many stories to be told here. I can't wait to unearth some of them. We asked one lady if we could interview her and she told us SHE was a reporter. So then we wondered if we should have recognized her from CNN or the Washington Post or something! Saw a crowd around an MSNBC station cheering and thought it might be Michelle Obama. No such luck though.

The city is absolutely buzzing with anticipation for tomorrow. There is this overwhelming sense of hope that pervades the atmosphere wherever you go. People don't expect Obama to be our Savior-- they just have hope for this new era that we are, as Americans, about to embark upon. And that is a kind of hope I think everyone in this nation needs.

Time to eat, more later!

--Sommer

No comments:

Post a Comment