Sunday, January 18, 2009

Realizations

In the midst of all the insanity of trying to find clothes befitting of the 30 degree weather we will be faced with in D.C., fit everything into one suitcase, and tie up other lose ends, I received perhaps the best phone call ever!

A lady from the U.S. Senate Press Gallery called to tell me that a few extra media credentials for the swearing-in ceremony had become available, and I was one of the lucky few to get an extra ticket. When you get these credentials, it means that instead of standing out on the National Mall with the millions of other people and only hoping to get a glimpse of Obama, you get to stand up close and personal!

We kept hearing that the number of requests for credentials was unprecedented for this inauguration, so I just feel extremely blessed to be given this opportunity. It seems surreal. This is something my grandparents and great-grandparents only ever dreamed of happening, and I'm just now beginning to truly realize that I'm going to experience it up close and in person. What an amazing feeling!

--Sommer

No comments:

Post a Comment